Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bricks and Citrus Cucumbers

I just finished watching Brick, and I gotta say, it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. If I had to liken it to another film I'd have to go with something like Layer Cake or Basic.
Drugs, sex, and murder. In high school. Very film noir.
That's my 10 word summary.
Truth be told, I had it figured out by the time it was half way in, but watching how everything played out was still very exciting, and even though most of the minor characters don't get fleshed out very much, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was probably at the best I've seen him in a while. Granted, I haven't really seen a lot of things he's been in, but I found myself drawn to him, despite knowing next to nothing about his character. I also liked that very early on in the film I stopped caring about who Emily was, or why she was killed, and I just wanted to see how things were going to play out. Only at the conclusion did the film draw the attention back to Emily, and it wrapped up in a way that, at least to me, was very satisfying. Perhaps the worst part of it was that, when all was said and done, I still didn't really care about her. Rather, I was glad to see Brendan's arc in the brief period of time covered by the film come to a solid close.
I would highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of film noir and whodunnit-type films, though it does start rather slow.

Throughout the film, I was also smoking a mix of Romman Summer Crisp & Lemon. Given the very summery feel of Summer Crisp, I was curious to see how I could make it more of a wintery flavor, given the rain we're currently experiencing in LA.
I gotta say, I largely failed. I did find a nice flavor mix, though.
I would definitely smoke it again in summer, or next week even, only...I'm all out of lemon.
I'd happily mix Summer Crisp with cherry, Good Times, rose, watermelon...or almost any of my other flavors, really. Though it is also very good on its own.

Now, to get a few more friends to join in the shisha smoking & movie watching...

1 comment:

  1. I saw brick in Leonard Maltin's film class in undergrad. Agreed, pretty good. Surprised you got ahold of it, not a very well known film.

    ReplyDelete